As an acupuncturist, many people tell me they want to try acupuncture, but nothing is wrong with them. I usually say that’s “great!” and leave it at that. In truth, however, I’m pretty sure I can find something “wrong” with them. We are not perfect and we cannot be perfectly balanced in our modern lifestyle. I compiled a list for your reflection on the meaning of “wellness” (according to traditional Chinese medicine).
- You have an even temperament, most of the time. (not moody, irritable, sad, nor too giddy)
- You are able to focus and concentrate when necessary or desired.
- You are self motivated to get moderate exercise.
- You can fall asleep and stay asleep easily.
- You feel refreshed after a good night’s sleep.
- You have enough energy for most of the day.
- You have a healthy appetite and good digestion
- You have regular and easy elimination and urination.
- You feel no aches or pain.
- You have no illness, disease, or disorder that needs medical attention.
In a perfectly balanced life, we could and should have all of these conditions. Unfortunately, we all have stress or distress in our body, mind, or spirit that prevents us from having it all. However, acupuncture gets you a little closer to being well.
Mary Nickel, L.Ac.